Kahoot! is a free game-based learning platform that makes it easy to create, play and share fun learning games (called Kahoots) or trivia quizzes for any subject, in any language, on any device.
Founded by Johan Brand, Jamie Brooker and Morten Versvik in a joint project with the Norwegian University of Technology and Science, Kahoot! was launched as a private beta at SXSWedu in March 2013 and the beta was released to the public in September 2013.
Kahoot! has now reached one billion cumulative participating players and is likely to hit 100 million monthly active unique users this month in more than 200 countries. The Oslo-based startup is valued at $376 million.
Kahoot! was designed for social learning, with learners gathered around a common screen such as an interactive whiteboard, projector or a computer monitor. It is used in classrooms, meeting rooms and living rooms alike with an audience that includes teachers, students, corporate users and social users.
Image credit: Kahoot!
A game of Kahoot! being played in a lecture-hall at the University of Oslo. Kahoots are best played in a group setting, for example, a classroom. Players answer the questions on their own devices, while games are displayed on a shared screen to unite the lesson. It creates a “campfire moment” encouraging players to look up and celebrate together. Besides creating your own kahoots, you can search among millions of existing games.
Last December, Kahoot! launched Kahoot! Ignite, a new accelerator for like-minded startups that are pushing the boundaries of education through gaming. Teams selected for the program can join Kahoot! on its journey to create value for learners across all geographies and champion the company’s mission to make learning awesome.
Image credit: Kahoot! Ignite
Kahoot! Ignite is looking for a diverse family of apps for iOS, Android and Windows platforms who will help Kahoot! build the world’s leading learning community. The startup today has some 60 million games on its platform, with a good portion of those created by users themselves. The idea is that bringing in outside developers (in this case, by way of the accelerator) could inject more innovation and interesting takes on the concept of educational gaming.
Participating in Kahoot!’s growth accelerator program will give selected teams and apps resources such as:
- Global Reach: Through Kahoot!, participants will reach a worldwide audience of teachers, students, schools and organizations.
- Growth opportunities: By running joint campaigns with Kahoot! and its partners, participants will have user and revenue growth opportunities
- Knowledge exchange: Share and exchange knowledge with the Kahoot! team – from how to scale and monetize, to providing an excellent user experience.
- Investment: Selected teams will receive funding for their operations
To join its new accelerator program, Kahoot! is looking for companies or teams that:
- Have a vision for making an impact on the future of learning
- Create meaningful value for teachers, students, parents of students, and/or corporate trainers
- Can subscribe to Kahoot!’s mission to make learning awesome!
- Share Kahoot!’s company values: Playfulness, Inclusivity and Curiosity
Companies and teams that share Kahoot!’s values and have a product that fits the mission can send their application to be a part of Kahoot! Ignite. They can get in touch by sending an email to ignite at kahoot.com with a description of their team/app background, goals and aspirations.